Friday, July 3, 2009

In fact, you are a vegetable

So just tonight have I gotten on the Michael Jackson bandwagon. I'm not really sure what was going on in my life at the time that he died, but I was not watching (or reading) the news. Just catching bits and pieces here and there. So tonight I was getting caught up on exactly what happened (apparently they still don't know exactly) and reading about different conspiracy theories (because that's where I always end up).

I remember a day or so after he died I was singing "Wanna Be Starting Something" to Chris. I got to the end and was singing "you're a vegetable. You're a vegetable. La da da di do, you're a vegetable." Chris started laughing and made some comment about how funny that was. I laughed saying "I'm not sure what the words actually are, but that's how we sang it as kids."

Tonight I looked up the lyrics out of curiosity, and it turns out "you're a vegetable" was correct (and surprisingly fitting, odd as it sounds out of context). I should have known better than to question my memory in regards to Thriller lyrics. As if my girlfriends and I didn't sit there for weeks pouring over the lyrics. As if we didn't make up dances to every single song. As if we weren't obsessed and wearing our cubic zirconia gloved necklaces from Avon and matching red parachute pants. As if.

I lost touch with MJ in the late 90's. I thought I was no longer a fan until after his death. Watching a montage or two reminded me of his older songs, and it turns out, I still love me some old MJ. Of course, 'Wanna Be Starting Something' tops my list. 'Rock With You' comes a very close second, and 'P.Y.T.' rounds off at third. But only because that was my favorite as a kid. I was a big Alvin and the Chipmunks fan back then (stop judging) and they can clearly be heard during that song (no need to dispute this, my adolescent mind is made up).

So if you are one of the millions who went out and bought some MJ cd's posthumously, please feel free to make me a mix CD for my upcoming birthday. Just leave off Thriller, as the Vincent Price "rap" at the end still gives me the chills.

3 comments:

  1. I thought I was tired of hearing about Michael Jackson stuff (thanks 24 hour news cycle), but your post made me laugh and feel sorry for MJ all over again. Like you, I was really always more a fan of his older stuff (but without your superior lyric knowledge - dang). But I can still remember back in 2001 when Michael Jackson had a big 30th Anniversary Concert. My friend Blanca and I blocked out the whole evening and bought a bunch of champagne in preparation. We sang and danced and loved it out with some Michael Jackson.

    PS. My favorite part of this post has to be the label at the bottom that says "It sucks to be right all the time." Just another reason I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've reached the point where the MJ news either depresses or irritates me. But your post reminds me what I really valued and will always find important about the loss of Michael Jackson--that it drew out such wonderful, happy memories from people, that it caused everyone to shake off their unhappiness and economic despondency and just bust a move to "Beat It" for a little while (okay, that was totally me in my living room).

    Thanks for sharing your memories. Great post title. Lovely details about the red pants and Avon jewelry. This was honest and nostalgic and utterly delightful.

    And "Wanna Be Starting Something" is TOTALLY my favorite MJ song too! :)

    ReplyDelete