Tuesday, June 2, 2009

30DoW - Because zombies lack dignity...

I’m going to slowly step away from zombies.  And violence, blood and gore.  Because as my friends and family know, that shit freaks me out beyond repair.  So in keeping with my writing style (I will break from it during this 30 days, I swear) – I’m going for a more romantic “iconic historical cluster.”  I would like to bring back the Victorian Gentleman.  Let the male generalities begin…

While I’m a fan of equality and women’s rights, somewhere along the way it seems we killed the Gentleman.  I wish morality, dignity, loyalty and intelligence would make a comeback with men today.  Not in a conservative Republican way, but rather in quiet subtleties.  I long for strong men.  Not physically, but mentally.  The kind of men that put more into reading us women, noticing the small details and making mental notes.  While I love men and their egos, it would be nice if they were able to shed their egos for the sake of productive communication when necessary, as opposed to us women having to carefully step around their paper-thin confidence.  Men with passion who stand up, take charge and fight fair.  I’m not looking to be slapped across the face (seriously, don’t even try it), but I’m also not looking to dominate.

I realize the “new woman” has really thrown the men for a loop.  We are educated, we work, we carry heavy boxes.  And in many ways it seems the men have just given up.  Retired to their rooms to get high, play games and live off their parent’s money (I’m going to extremes, but you get the point).  They feel unwanted, unneeded and generally out-of-place, so they check out.  Instead, I wish they’d just man-up and keep up.  Be stronger.  Be smarter.  Pay attention.  Bob and weave for fucks sake!  Sorry, that was an unnecessary tangent.

Perhaps I have a romanticized view of the Victorian Gentleman (it’s a pretty safe bet, in fact).  But that version is what I long to replace the zombies.  Men who stand up straight, have a dignified air to them (despite their social class) and love ballroom dancing.  Because ballroom dancing is much more enjoyable than chopping off heads, if I do say so myself.

6 comments:

  1. what if youre chopping off hugh grant's head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I fear zombies and believe that we should all be prepared for the worst, but for the purposes of popular culture, this is a fantastic idea. I laughed out loud envisioning that generation of hipsters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're so right in the whole men falling behind thing. if they were (all of them) real men, they would be trying to push forward, rather than lounging back.

    so, uh, no Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for you, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so attracted to the idea. But seriously. Zombies. freak. me. out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with SK. It's hard to imagine someone being noble while wearing skinny jeans. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think about this a lot, too. i love my dad but i bascially grew up without him, and men have definitely been placed at a major disadvantage in these recent generations. there aren't rite-of-passage rituals in this culture; sports and sex are poor substitutes. america is saturated with grown boys who don't know how to step into manhood and are hopelessly confused by what this culture places value upon; it conflicts with our own inner compasses. the tension leads to detachment and escapism, of which i am also guilty. but i like to think i know when to step up. empathy from women helps. both genders would serve each other well to practice these principles, because wherever we go as a species, we clearly need each other tremendously. much respect for this write :)

    ReplyDelete