Tuesday, April 28, 2009

SpongeBob causes cancer

Okay, okay.  SpongeBob himself does not cause cancer.  But his bubble bath sure could.  First let me say that I know bubble bath isn’t good for you.  It can cause UTI’s and skin irritations.  But Izzy likes her bubbles and I was tired of flying through the good stuff to make the bubbles happen.  I looked for bath crayons and they are harder to find than one might imagine, so we ended up with bubble bath.  I wanted some Mr. Bubble because that’s what I liked as a kid until I ended up with UTI’s and then Mr. Bubble was no more.  But Izzy took one look at SpongeBob, freaked out with desire and so in the basket he went.

I came home and googled the ingredients, and sure enough, there are “cancer causing agents”.  Plus there is formaldehyde.  Which is gross, but whatever.  Apparently that’s the way bubble bath rolls.  Anyway, it contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate (it’s the second listed ingredient, in fact) and that particular ingredient (which is in everything if you look) has been known to cause an “increased incidence of cancer in controlled animal studies”.  Nice.

So the question now is “will I go ahead and bubble it up for Izzy?”  For now, yes I will.  I’ll use up this ONE bottle.  But only because in addition to bubble bath, I also bought a $12 (rather small) bottle of sunscreen (instead of Banana Boat) because I know that the cheap kids sunscreen is really bad for kids.  So I figure the two will cancel each other out.

In the event that you’d like to stop worrying about the pig flu and find out what’s really killing us (slowly), feel free to check out this website:  http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php

You can thank Jessica for killing the love of your favorite products.  Or, you can say “screw it, I want to be looking good in my Ultima II makeup when I get hit by that car….”

 

2 comments:

  1. you dont need ultima ii to look good.

    although ultima vii is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you mean you can hate Jessica for ruining the bliss of ignorance that this beloved lotion that smells pretty and makes everyone say you don't look your age is actually depositing cancer causing agents, possible birth defects and lots of other lovely toxins into your body via your HEAD!!!? That's what I thought. Suuuuuuuckkkk Cittttttyy

    ReplyDelete