Saturday, September 26, 2009

hello mid-30's

I turn 34 today. For the most part, I’m okay with it. I find myself proud of my age, wearing it like a badge of wisdom. I also find myself saying things like: “of course she feels that way, she’s in her twenties.” That’s not a dig on anyone in their 20’s, rather it’s the discovery that there is a shift when you hit your 30’s. You lose that sense of urgency. That fatalistic feeling that everything is do or die. You’ve most likely experienced love and loss and start to see that you will survive, and even be better after the experience.

I’ve learned that most clichés are true and are around for a reason. Here’s a list of some of what I’ve learned in my 30’s so far:

  • Communication is the most important part of relationships. The Most Important Part.
  • It turns out I do not know everything. In fact, sometimes I feel like I know nothing.
  • Weight is harder to lose as you get older.
  • Forgiveness is imperative to happiness.
  • I will survive.
  • If you don’t handle your shit, your shit handles you.
  • There are no rewards for martyrdom.
  • I’m not the fattest, ugliest, dumbest girl in the world. In fact, I’m pretty damn awesome.
  • Where attention goes, energy flows.
  • Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.
  • Problems do not take care of themselves.
  • This too shall pass.
  • Sometimes love is not enough.
  • Oxyclean will get a stain out of anything. If Oxyclean doesn't work, use Incredible.
  • It’s not what you have, but who you have.
  • Nothing lasts forever.
  • You cannot change other people, but you can inspire change.
  • Putting grapes in the microwave creates a terrifying plasma explosion.
  • Honesty is always the best policy. If you cannot be honest, say nothing.
  • Anybody is capable of anything. Good or bad.
  • Once a cheater does NOT mean always a cheater.
  • Judge not, lest ye be judged.
  • The only way to be happy is to stay checked in to life. Checking out (ie: drugs & alcohol) only makes things worse and brings resentment from those around you.
  • NOBODY likes a victim.
  • Your life is your own. You are responsible for your own happiness and often times you’ll have to fight tooth and nail for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment