Friday, October 9, 2009

Nobody goes "full bad guy"

We all have patterns that we repeat in our lives. Many of those patterns we find ourselves in time after time, many of which cause the same disastrous results time after time. And yet, time after time, we refuse to recognize or change those patterns.

I have a pattern. And I recognize it. But changing it is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. Here’s my pattern: I walk around vocalizing my opinions all over the place. I’m open, I’m honest, I’m forthcoming. Eventually one of my opinions rub someone the wrong way and they attack. They don’t debate (I LOVE a good debate), they attack. And I defend. Somewhere in that defense I hurt their feelings and make them cry. It doesn’t matter how well thought out my defense is. It doesn’t matter that I tread lightly so as not to re-offend. I inevitably re-offend and I inevitably make them cry. It blows my mind that they cry because they so harshly attacked and so I come back with a soothing tone and try to “fix” the situation. Band-Aid applied, everyone is happy, rinse, repeat. I cannot begin to tell you how many times this situation has happened in my life, only to be repeated sometimes for years.

This particular situation happened again recently. And while I exhaustingly explained my actions to Chris, again, he simply said the following: “Do you know what your problem is? You never go full bad guy.” I laughed and said, “You never go full bad guy. Everybody knows that.” He explained that while I have conviction, I’m far too worried about what people think (which I deny, but then later realize that he is right.) I don’t want to be responsible for upsetting people, even if they are wrong and attacked in the first place. I’m “always playing defense, when I should be taking the offense.” He ended his explanation by saying “if this were Big Brother, you’d be going home while those other assholes would be staying.” Something about his analogy and movie misquote hit home with me. I finally got it and was able to see myself from an outsiders perspective (possibly because I LOVE to analyze Big Brother).

And if anybody should know, it’s Chris. He often goes “full asshole” and people love him for it (or despite it). But most of all, people know he has both conviction AND integrity. If you find yourself going up against Chris, you are forced to rethink your position because he so rarely gets involved. Or not. If you do not rethink your stance, he could give a shit. But he will not budge on his, nor will he apologize for it. And you will either love it or leave it (few leave it, frustrating me, but it has been known to happen). My problem is that I budge. I apologize for the way that YOU feel. I compromise my integrity. And by doing so, it allows people to feel luke-warm about me, and allows them to stick around to rinse and repeat. The real problem is that I talk a big game, but I’m a poor player. And I lose often. And after tonight’s pep-talk, I’ve decided to step it up. To stop compromising. To finally go “full bad guy” if need be. Because as we all know, nice gals never win.

4 comments:

  1. "a life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. My blog tonight was also about caring too much what people think about me. I aim to make "I don't give a fuck what you think" my mantra. Maybe yours could be "Sometimes you gotta go full bad guy." As usual, great post that gives me things to think about in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised. and I disagree. You'd don't go "full bad guy," but only because you understand why someone might be hut by your position. Personally, I feel that you do stand up for what you believe in. You stand up for yourself. Is it a bad thing to try and win someone over/find the "it's okay to disagree" line? I don't think so. If Chris stonewalled me and said "that's the way it is," we might still be friends, but we would have lost the ability to discuss. Your approach leaves the window of growth open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The point is not to stonewall. The point is to make your point unapologetically. The point is to not budge AND agree to disagree. I stand up for what I believe, but when attacked, I have a tendency to budge. To apologize. And that is conceding. And once you concede, you lose your integrity. You don't win anyone over by conceding, in fact, YOU have been won over. And then you walk away saying "what happened there? I completely disagree with the side I crossed over to."

    And the thing is, I associate being firm with being a "bad guy". I apologize to be nice. Which is how the term "full bad guy" came into play. I think that maybe you interpreted "full bad guy" and "asshole" in the truest sense, as opposed to what I think is being "bad" and "asshole". And to a true southern girl who so badly desires being called "nice", the meanings are completely different.

    ReplyDelete